Sunday, January 11, 2009

Everyone smiles in the same language

I watched a video by Tim Holtz demonstrating how to use his new masks. So, of course, I had to have all six! And pay an arm and a leg for shipping all the way to Hong Kong. But I indulged myself because it has been a while since I did any art related shopping.

Before I continue, I’d like to take my hat off to the new Kokuyo adhesives that I have been using lately. I’ll admit that even before I try (or buy) an adhesive the most important consideration for me is if they are refillable. I care about my environment and believe that refills (for everything!) help reduce the amount of junk we create. Kokuyo are refillable and that already gave them an edge over some of the other brands I have used.

When I actually took the applicator out to use, I saw something else that I really liked – a little flip back cover right over the sticky bit of the applicator. It is very easy to flip it open when you want to use it. Just flip it to close it again when you are done so that the glue does not pick up dust and fluff and lose its effectiveness.

After having used the glue in all the layouts and cards below, I have to say that this brand is probably the best I have ever used. It goes on so smoothly and the control is great. I was able to apply glue to really small bits of cardstock with no mess at all! Kokuyu should give themselves a pat on the back for coming out with a superb product!

While I waited very impatiently, and I know you all can empathize with the feeling, for my masks to arrive, I just had to try some of the techniques I saw on the video. I decided to apply them to stencils – which are just backwards masks. For this layout, I decided to make the stencils myself since the style I was looking for was linear and easy. I drew the arrows (one bent and one straight) on cardstock and then cut them out with an X-acto knife. You can see that the middle three arrows are the same. I just flipped the stencil.

To colour it in, I chose a blue ink as close as possible to the cardstock. Using a foam tipped Fantastix brush by Tsukineko, I first outlined the arrows. Then I filled it in with a stippling brush. Stippling is my favorite way to use colour with stencils and masks. I then stamped over the colour using the same blue to give a tone-on-tone effect. I applied the sentiment sticker on a piece of cardstock and placed it slightly off center. The placement had to be determined before stenciling so that all the arrows appear to be originating from the same point under the sticker.



  • Cardstock by Club Scrap mostly from the Friendship kit.
  • Quote sticker manufacturer unknown. The sticker is applied to a printed paper from the Club Scrap Friendship kit.
  • Handmade arrow stencils
  • Blueberry dye ink by Ranger Industries
  • Outline of the stencil done with Fantastix brush tool by Tsukineko
  • Inside colour filled in with stippling brushes
  • Stamped with a flourish using tone on tone.
  • No comments: