Tuesday, May 27, 2008

4 women venture into place thats 'Male Only' since 1060

I'll admit I did not know that there is this place called Mount Athos in Greece that has been off bounds to women since 1060!! Now I wish I did not know because it looks very beautiful and I want to go see it and I can't!


Four Moldovan women accidentally breached a ban dating back to 1060 when they were dropped off on the Greek monastic peninsular of Mount Athos. They told police they had sailed from Turkey after paying $6,300 to two Ukrainian people smugglers, but were unaware they were breaking Greek law.

Women are banned from Mount Athos, home to 20 monasteries and considered Orthodox Christianity's spiritual home. Police held the group, and one officer said "they were forgiven" by the monks.

The four women, aged between 27 and 32, and a Moldovan man, aged 41, were discovered by the monks at the weekend. Under Greek law, breaching the ban can lead to a jail sentence. Women - even many female domestic animals - have not been allowed on the mountain since a decree banning women was issued by Byzantine Emperor Constantine Monomachos in 1060! (BBC)

No comments: