Sunday, May 25, 2008

Beware of environmentally friendly cars

I did an online test a few years ago to check my carbon footprint. After seeing the results, among other things I quit driving my car unless absolutely necessary. I use public transport almost all the time. If I were to change my car in the near future, I'd be looking to buy an 'Environmentally Friendly' model but now it seems these are not as green as they could be. This is like being between a rock and a hard place! What exactly are concerned motorists supposed to do?

Motorists beware – those cars promoted as "green" may not be as environmentally friendly as you think. Some new cars are more polluting than the same models were five years ago, according to a new study which is to be published this week.

Among the worst offenders are cars from Renault, Honda and Daihatsu, all manufacturers that claim strong green credentials.

Even models that improved their environmental performance fell well short of the minimum emissions levels now possible, the research found. In some cases, the poorer performance was the result of "improvements" such as design upgrades, new safety features and changes to the engine, which caused higher levels of CO₂ emissions or pollutants. (Telegraph)

No comments: