Monday, June 02, 2008

Beauty Pageant for Transvestites

I first saw a transvestite when I was in Bangkok in 1989. I was in a ladies toilet and there was this really ugly chick next to me touching up her lipstick. It took me a while to figure things out (and I know I was staring all the while but could not help myself!) but I now know for sure that that person would not be able to enter any kind of beauty contest - she/he was really ugly. My photo is of the 2006 winner, who I still consider the most beautiful transvestite I have yet to see! Anyhoo, the ladies (ahem!) got together again this year for Miss Tiffany's Universe Beauty Pageant. Click on link to see the current winners.

Dolled up to the nines in satin, sequins and lace, their dazzling white-toothed smiles adorned with thick lipstick and their eyes artfully smeared with shadow, the contestants descended upon Pattaya, a beach resort around a hundred miles south of the capital Bangkok. The beauty pageant captures the attention of the south-east Asian kingdom every year, with winners often going on to careers in television or modelling.

This year the winner was one Kangsadarn Wongdusadeekul, mercifully known by her more manageable stage name “Nonk”, who tearfully accepted the prize of 100,000 baht (around £1,600) and a car. (Telegraph)

No comments: